Shiplap and Paneling

In the past few years, paneling has come back into vogue. The term “Shiplap” has come to represent a number of different products. It can be customized to fit any space, big or small.  It’s perfect for turning a dull and cold space into a warm, cozy interior.

Purchase at these locations:

Shiplap vs Tongue and Groove

Shiplap vs Tongue and Groove – A shiplap has a notch in the board halfway though called a rabbet. Each edge of the board is rabbeted on opposite faces, so the boards nestle together. Tongue and Groove (T&G) is when the notch is cut on the front and back faces on one edge and in the center of the other edge. Sometimes the edge of one face is beveled, giving the boards a “V-Groove” when pushed together. Any of these options can be ordered as natural or primed, smooth or rough sawn.


Another general term, wainscoting is paneling that goes partway up a wall, typically a third to halfway. This can be done using a beaded board or panel, shiplap, tongue and groove, or made using raised panel moldings.

What is Nickel Gap

Regardless if a board is milled as shiplap or tongue and groove, it can be milled to fit tight together, or so that when the boards are abutted with a slight spacing called Nickel or Shadow Gap.


Raised Panel Wainscoting

Rough Sawn

Shadow or Nickel Gap

Shiplap Ceilings


To Top
We appreciate your support in keeping Northeast Building Supply a safe environment to shop. As Covid-19 cases rise in the tri-state area, we continue to ensure we have a safe and clean retail space for all of you. As we have been since the beginning of the pandemic, we are able to support curbside pickup for our hardware store and shipping out of our lumber department if you're not comfortable coming in. Click here for all location hours, addresses and phone numbers.