There’s a fail-safe way to add a touch of class to any room in your home. Install some custom millwork from Northeast Cornwall Bridge.
New paint and floor coverings often take priority over other decorating accents like custom millwork. But if you want to take a room to the next level, add some crown molding to the top of the room, and some baseboard and shoe to the bottom to add eye-popping style and sophistication.
Northeast Cornwall Bridge has some profiles of custom millwork available in its lumber yard, but can order hundreds of profiles of baseboard, crown molding, chair rail, casing, and more from molding manufacturers A & B Wood Design and Garden State Lumber Products.
Deciding what type of custom millwork to use in a given room in your home can be difficult, but most architects and designers will tell you that adding any type of millwork to a room will create interest and elegance.
Here are five areas of the home that designers and architects agree are the best places to add custom millwork.
- Celebrate the ceiling: This is a blank canvas in just about every home. If you’re on a budget, crown molding is an affordable accent that will cover the seam where the wall meets the ceiling. If you’re flush with cash, think about a coffered ceiling that will divide the ceiling into a grid of recessed panels, accented by dropped beams. Inside each of the grids, add recessed can lighting and a decorative trim and a simple room turns into a showpiece.
- Add wow to your windows: Casings or surrounds add beautiful framing to even the most modest windows. It’s also a great way to hide gaps or shoddy workmanship that occurred during the window installation, or when the sheetrock was hung.
- Classy chair rail: This is a great accent in the dining room, or areas of the kitchen where people sit down to eat. Not only does it protect the walls from being scratched by furniture, but adds another level of interest. Go big by adding paneling or wainscoting between the chair rail and baseboard.
- Floor flourish: There’s probably some type of baseboard in every room in your house, but that’s no reason to settle for average. There are hundreds of profiles of baseboards available, in every size and style imaginable. Even if you decide basic is better, add a shoe to dress things up.
- Dress up the doors: Here’s another place where casings and trim can make a huge difference in a room. Wider casings add prominence to a room. Decide on a trim and place it at the top of every door in your home. It will create an architectural appeal at a minimal cost.
These are just a few places in the home where custom millwork can be used to add interest, style, and value. If you live in northwest Connecticut and are thinking about starting a remodeling project, give Northeast Cornwall Bridge a call at 860.672.4000 and speak to a member of our team. You can also visit https://www.northeastco.com/contact/, leave an email and a Northeast representative will contact you by the next business day.